Gerchap

Controller or Stick for MK?

Controller or Stick for MK?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Controller or Stick?

• Controller
    • Stick
    • Both

I was gonna make a thread like this, but you beat me to it. The xbox controller sucks. Fightsticks work better for games like Street Fighter. When I used to have the xbox 360, I used a Mad Catz Fightpad pro, and that worked really good for me. However they don't make those anymore. The new Mad Catz fight pad sucks and dpad is way too small. 

Does anybody have any good suggestions for a controller with a good dpad?

It really depends on what you're more comfortable using.

You like using an old school Xbox Duke pad: Hyperkin makes an updated one for Xbox One

You like using a DualShock 2: Get a converter

You like using a Xbox 360 pad: Get a converter

You like using a DualShock 3: Get a converter

Using a stick, or Hitbox you don't need to keep spending money on pads, depending on the quality of stick you have all you really need to do is get a proper PCB then update the PCB regularly then replace the PCB when a new generation of consoles are out. You'll never have to get used to using a new pad every gen & get good with it. @Komatose and/or @xFriction can add anything or correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Edited by C88 Revy

7 minutes ago, C88 Revy said:

It really depends on what you're more comfortable using.

You like using an old school Xbox Duke pad: Hyperkin makes an updated one for Xbox One

You like using a DualShock 2: Get a converter

You like using a Xbox 360 pad: Get a converter

You like using a DualShock 3: Get a converter

Using a stick, or Hitbox you don't need to keep spending money on pads, depending on the quality of stick you have all you really need to do is get a proper PCB then update the PCB regularly then replace the PCB when a new generation of consoles are out. You'll never have to get used to using it & get good with it. @Komatose and/or @xFriction can add anything or correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

I thought converters created lag.

3 hours ago, Dizz 88 said:

Not the Brook converters which are great because they are also tournament legal so it's the go-to converter for tournament use also a lot of C88s use them like Faster & KOREYTHEDRAGON. Brook also make the PCB that most tournament players use as well. The only issue with the Brook converters that THEY DON'T WORK ON ALL PADS which is really shitty. They are so good when they first came out they were like $30 each but when EVO announced that they were tournament legal they jacked the prices up to $50-$60 each. They basically replaced the eToKKi converters that everybody used during the 360/PS3 era that allowed DualShock 2 pads to be playable on 360 & PS3.

6 minutes ago, C88 Revy said:

Not the Brooks converters which are great because they are also tournament legal so it's the go-to converter for tournament use also a lot of C88s use them like Faster & KOREYTHEDRAGON. Brooks also make the PCB that most tournament players use as well. The only issue with the Brooks converters that THEY DON'T WORK ON ALL PADS which is really shitty. They are so good when they first came out they were like $30 each but when EVO announced that they were tournament legal they jacked the prices up to $50-$60 each. They basically replaced the eToKKi converters that everybody used during the 360/PS3 era that allowed DualShock 2 pads to be playable on 360 & PS3.

Would the converter work for a Xbox 360 Madz Catz fightpad?

22 minutes ago, Dizz 88 said:

1 hour ago, Dizz 88 said:

I was gonna make a thread like this, but you beat me to it. The xbox controller sucks. Fightsticks work better for games like Street Fighter. When I used to have the xbox 360, I used a Mad Catz Fightpad pro, and that worked really good for me. However they don't make those anymore. The new Mad Catz fight pad sucks and dpad is way too small. 

Does anybody have any good suggestions for a controller with a good dpad?

I recommend using Sony controllers. I know that eTokki made great adapters so that you could use PS2 controllers on a 360, and it worked brilliantly. Lag seemed minimal to non-existent. I haven't kept up with the company as I haven't played a hardcore fighting game since MK9, but you might want to see if they stock newer adapters. 

4 minutes ago, CRKFIEND said:

I recommend using Sony controllers. I know that eTokki made great adapters so that you could use PS2 controllers on a 360, and it worked brilliantly. Lag seemed minimal to non-existent. I haven't kept up with the company as I haven't played a hardcore fighting game since MK9, but you might want to see if they stock newer adapters. 

Nobody uses eTokki converters anymore unless it's for a past generation console.

7 minutes ago, CRKFIEND said:

They still seem to be in the business:

https://www.etokki.com/Xbox/PS3-PS4-to-XboxOne-Super-Converter

That's a Brook Converter that they sell on their site. eTokki outside of the PS3 to Xbox converter that they no longer make are really just makers of top of the line Korean style fightsticks, PCBs & fightstick parts.

3 minutes ago, Gerchap said:

I got these two back for mk9 and never used them I guess I’ll find a converter for them and try to get use to them

EF93E14C-FFE7-4746-81B8-D295D901DE96.jpeg

You know I mod sticks right? All you need is the brooks universal fighting board

I really dont know yet for mk11.  I used pad for the stress test / beta because i wasnt sure where to put the amplify button.  Going to have to try different things on training mode.

As far as sticks go, its fairly easy to replace pcbs now.  Never used a converter so i cant speak on that.

@Gerchap just my humble opinion but im not sure those 6 button mk style layouts.  ... On second thought with the meter burn system gone it might actually work out.  Idk, if you get the chance to try it on mk11 please lmk what you think.

2 hours ago, Gerchap said:

I got these two back for mk9 and never used them I guess I’ll find a converter for them and try to get use to them

EF93E14C-FFE7-4746-81B8-D295D901DE96.jpeg

OH GOD! Stick with pad, PDP are not good at all no matter how many Suzo-Happ components (the parts in the UMK3 machines) they used in those special edition MK sticks. The button layout isn't great. The way they designed the buttons isn't optimal because there's a delay due to the their distance to register which makes things really hard especially at high level play and the stick requires more force than most sticks. It just lacks so much to In comparison to other fightsticks especially the ones made with Korean & Japanese parts. I suggest only using them for classic American fighting games like UMK3 (what the button layout was made for), Killer Instinct 1 or Killer Instinct 2 because Japanese games will cause you to fuck up so bad.

If you want to try them if you can get used to the button layout, you're going to need to replace the buttons and the joystick to make it usable at high level.

8 minutes ago, C88 Revy said:

OH GOD! Stick with pad, PDP are not good at all no matter how many Suzo-Happ components (the parts in the UMK3 machines) they used in those special edition MK sticks. The button layout isn't great. The way they designed the buttons isn't optimal because there's a delay due to the their distance to register which makes things really hard especially at high level play and the stick requires more force than most sticks. It just lacks so much to In comparison to other fightsticks especially the ones made with Korean & Japanese parts. I suggest only using them for classic American fighting games like UMK3 (what the button layout was made for), Killer Instinct 1 or Killer Instinct 2 because Japanese games will cause you to fuck up so bad.

If you want to try them if you can get used to the button layout, you're going to need to replace the buttons and the joystick to make it usable at high level.

That’s what I thought when I tried it the very first and only time the buttons are too far apart but I thought it was just me 

Just now, Gerchap said:

That’s what I thought when I tried it the very first and only time the buttons are too far apart but I thought it was just me 

You should still keep even if you don't plan on using them as they're worth quite a bit nowadays depending on the condition & they're probably great to play MAME versions of the original MK games on PC.

20 minutes ago, Gerchap said:

Both are brand new one for PS and one for Xbox. I never used to PS one I only opened it to get the disc out lol

I think the highest I've seen them go for is $150 USD for mint condition, that's about the price of a brand new HORI Real Arcade Pro.V Kai fightstick & the only real changes you need is change the square restrictor plate to an octagonal one, it's a $3 upgrade if you buy the Kowal Octopus Octagonal Restrictor Plate which is a must along with the Kowal 1mm oversize actuator which is $5.

It all depends on preference and money. Also time if you’re new to one or another. I will write a topic on this when I get home. But there’s no reason to use one over the other. I’ve heard so much Bs about how controller has advantages over stick and stick has advantages over controller, all BS... People love to say for Marvel stick is better but there are multiple top players on pad that I can name and Unkn0wn comes to mind. Multiple top 8s on pad... I also think if anything it depends on the pace of the game. But yeah. Will write a topic on this later. Also depends on how you have fun and want to learn but nothing is doable on one that the other isn’t capable of doing. I play on both but mostly stick or hit box because I have more fun playing on those because it’s reminiscent of an arcade for me. So that’s literally the only reason lol Coming from someone that plays on everything, even keyboard, nothing is advantageous over the other.