Sign in to follow this  
CRKFIEND

How did you get introduced to Mortal Kombat?

Simple question, folks: How did you get introduced to Mortal Kombat? I thought it would be a good idea and maybe we'd hear some funny/interesting stories! I'll start...

So leading up to my 8th birthday, all my friends were talking about Mortal Kombat. I had seen it in gaming magazines, but never actually played the game until I got a chance at a local arcade. I fell in love. The game looked so good, and the violence in the game was a bit of a shock factor for a kid who played most of his games on NES/SNES. I remember having a small rental place in my podunk town in NH, and they decided to sell their copy of MK for $30. I told my parents about the game for sale, and that I really wanted it, my mother said, "Absolutely not" as she had heard about the infamous game, and how it was terrible for children. A few days later I noticed that MK was gone, someone had purchased the game. My dreams were dashed!

Fast forward to my birthday party...

One by one I opened all of my gifts, and sadly Mortal Kombat was not to be found. After all the gifts were opened, my dad said, "Oh, I think we forgot one of your gifts in the bedroom!" I was psyched, I knew what it was immediately, and my mom did too. My dad came out with a SNES game shaped box. I tore the wrapping paper to shreds, and inside: Mortal Kombat for SNES. My mom started immediately yelling at my dad, and they ended up in one of the biggest arguments I can recall in the room aside from our kitchen, but I was content. My dad hooked me up with the present that started the obsession.

I love you Mom - but props Dad you made the right choice!

2 hours ago, CRKFIEND said:

Simple question, folks: How did you get introduced to Mortal Kombat? I thought it would be a good idea and maybe we'd hear some funny/interesting stories! I'll start...

So leading up to my 8th birthday, all my friends were talking about Mortal Kombat. I had seen it in gaming magazines, but never actually played the game until I got a chance at a local arcade. I fell in love. The game looked so good, and the violence in the game was a bit of a shock factor for a kid who played most of his games on NES/SNES. I remember having a small rental place in my podunk town in NH, and they decided to sell their copy of MK for $30. I told my parents about the game for sale, and that I really wanted it, my mother said, "Absolutely not" as she had heard about the infamous game, and how it was terrible for children. A few days later I noticed that MK was gone, someone had purchased the game. My dreams were dashed!

Fast forward to my birthday party...

One by one I opened all of my gifts, and sadly Mortal Kombat was not to be found. After all the gifts were opened, my dad said, "Oh, I think we forgot one of your gifts in the bedroom!" I was psyched, I knew what it was immediately, and my mom did too. My dad came out with a SNES game shaped box. I tore the wrapping paper to shreds, and inside: Mortal Kombat for SNES. My mom started immediately yelling at my dad, and they ended up in one of the biggest arguments I can recall in the room aside from our kitchen, but I was content. My dad hooked me up with the present that started the obsession.

I love you Mom - but props Dad you made the right choice!

Haaaa father of the year! Nice story 

Mine, back  in the late 80s my grandma was very strict and didn’t let my brother and I go to the Maquinitas “arcades” we didn’t have plenty of money to play but my brother and I liked just watching other kids play. In 92 MK came to the scene and My entire little town loved it so we used to wait in line for our turn. Finally we got MK for Nintendo then MK2 and decades later I still have the passion for MK but everything began in that little and poor arcade in my home town in Guatemala 

the golden years for sure

When I was a toddler. My father introduced me to UMK3 on Super Nintendo. And that’s where it all started. My love for fighting games, gaming becoming my hobby in general and my love for games thus far in general. It was a life changing experience and I got really good at UMK3 and KI as a young one. I’ve always had a natural talent for fighting games/good muscle memory apparently. 

When my uncle was in the Navy, whenever he was on base or on shore leave he'd go to the bar on base or the local pool hall & arcades & hustle people out of money in pool, pinball & retro games. In 1992, MKI just came out & people were going apeshit over it so he decided to give it a shot & he was great at it. He'd go to tournaments whenever he was on leave & he won a lot. When he left the Navy, he'd babysit my brother & they'd go to arcades & Chuck E. Cheese in Toronto just play MKII & UMK3. When I was finally old enough to walk & go to the bathroom by myself in 1997-1998, I'd go with them too where my brother would play the Jurassic Park game that was pretty awesome but uncle would hold me up & teach me how to play UMK3, my first character was Stryker because I love guns (whenever my brother was at school I was playing 007 GoldenEye & watching action movies). Whenever my family would visit him we'd play UMK3 on Sega Genesis until my brother would get tired of it & would want to play Earthworm Jim. We moved away from the Toronto area in 1999 to the  Orillia-Muskoka area where I was lucky enough that the movie theater had a UMK3 cabinet.

Before I was born, he'd draw MK characters, Spider-Man & Venom also characters from Gargoyles just for my brother. Here's a few examples that I took pictures of for @scarsunseen on Twitter a few days ago:

Colin Brooklyn.jpg

Colin Ermac.jpg

Colin Kitana.jpg

Colin Spiderman Venom.jpg

Was in a bar, drunk. Saw sub-zero rip a head off with spine attached (MK1). Hooked! People would line up and put their quarters on the glass for their turn. If you were any good, you got to play a lot of MK for very little money.

The fighting game concept wasn't new. Street Fighter II was already out and really changed the experience of games for me. No longer was it you vs. the game but you vs. the guy next to you. A real test, not the memorization of patterned programming. Add the ability to knock their head off their shoulders and the satisfaction significantly increased, not to mention the shit-talking.

The other draw was to find the right button combinations to execute the fatalities. These things weren't printed on the side of the cabinet. You had to either figure it out, mostly accidental, or go out or go searching in game magazines and bulletin board systems. The amount of disinformation was staggering and the internet was very young. Then it got weird...easter eggs! 

If there was ever a game that sucked your soul inside it, forever trapping you in a digital purgatory, it was the original Mortal Kombat.