Sign in to follow this  
Gerchap

MK11 thoughts so far?

What do you think? Are you enjoying it? 

It seems like a totally new game, but again I haven’t really played MK games in so many years 

I haven’t played a single online match nor haven’t put on time to pick up a main yet

About you guys?

Still to early to call, but I can give you a few of my impressions: I am disappointed with the music, just like I was disappointed with the music in MKX and Injustice 2. They opted to go the 'atmospheric route', and none of it has any soul. It's all forgettable. I LOVE all of the wake up options in MK11, and Krushing Blows seem cool, since they all lead to a free pop-up which I didn't know at first. I think that the Fatal Blows we're put in as a cushion for bad players, and I have a problem with that. Even if someone misses with one, it recharges in like 10 seconds. It's pretty lame. I'm still not a fan of the interactable environments, I wish they stayed in Injustice...

I've spent my entire time on story mode and a few hours of local matches w/ my nephew.  So far I like it better that MKX but that's not saying much. More time will tell. I thought I'd be cool and play story mode on hard. Getting my ass beat a lot! 

I love it. Combos are fluent. I just wish they were longer for some characters. Or more damaging. New mechanics aren’t bad but they’re not great. They’re just there for me. Gameplay as a whole as far as competitive is just incredible in my opinion. My biggest smh moment having to do with the game is all the P2P content.  It seems like you have to buy a lot. Whether it be from the krypt or other means. And I’m not sure why fighting game are turning more into RPGs... Enhancing gear? Who the fuck are we fighting at the end? Diablo? I don’t like the equipment and skin unlock design and I am against all the extra gear augmenting as a whole. I want to fight a character as they are. I am okay with interchangeable specials. I warmed up to that. But everything else is just extra and uncalled for and puts me off entirely. The graphics are some of the best graphics I’ve seen in almost any game, beaten by few, and I have yet to play the story although i year some say it’s incredible and some say it’s whack. But I’m not on the game for the story although it peaks my interest and the story from MK9 to now seems interesting. But yeah. I have way more good thoughts on the game than bad, but the few things I dislike I dislike them majorly... Overall: Great game, love it. I can see myself playing this for the duration. 

Oh and the stages are way too fucking dark. This is coming from someone who brightens the screen instead of darkening it like it wants us to do. Very few stages can I see on or are bearable to my eyes... More brighten stages and less darker stages would have been a plus for people with eye problems like myself. 

I'm almost done the story and I have a few notes I wanted to mention:

1. The story is better than MKX's so far.

2. I still dislike Jacqui, she's not very interesting, but Jax makes up for it in the tandem story arc.

3. Johnny Cage is awarded 'Most Improved Character'. He sucked in MKX, and he's amazing here.

4. D'Vorah is awarded 'Best character they fucked up'. She's pretty boring here.

5. Whoever decided to hire Ronda Rousey as a voice actor needs to be dragged out and beaten. Sonya's voice acting is a noticable step down from everyone else.

6. The gameplay is slower than MK9, and I think that's okay. The combo strings seem to be shorter than what we are used to, and I feel the projectiles are doing less damage.

7. Fatal Blows were still a terrible idea.

8. Where the fuck are stage fatalities? They fucked this up in MKX too, is NRS daft?

So far I REALLY like it. Playing online is obscene but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays offline. Offline PC play is fantastic and it feels buttery smooth. A bit stiff compared to SFV, but that's what I remember from MKX. 

I've recognized a few quirks in online play. I cannot do certain dial-a-combos, it's like the inputs don't register for the latter half. It's fine offline, but in ranked it really fucks with my neutral. 

11 hours ago, Thunder 88 said:

Well, it's different.   The Demo really clued us in on what this game was made of.  Great graphics, but I feel it slows the engine down.

I think the pace of the game is meant to be a slower almost 'Street Fighter 3' style of gameplay, and I'm okay with that. Smaller combos, and more about spacial awareness and a boss wake up game.

I agree with the member who said the music is forgettable.  I don't even know there is music in the game most of the time.  With each new MK game, the music seems to get worse.

As for the game play, this is the best playing MK to date. I know that many of you care about combo length more than combo effectiveness, but not me.  Give me a moderately easy to do 6-10 hit combo that does 25-30% any day over a difficult 20 hit combo that does the same damage.  

The pace is spot on for me as well.  All that frantic running with un-reactable 50/50's was a bit much in MKX.  I can actually win lots of matches again.  

The visuals are the best for any fighting game.  No other game currently comes close.  

I will say that the towers of time are complete bullshit thanks to unfair A.I. and the constant barrage of consumables they frequently attack you with is unrelenting.

Overall I'm having lots of fun with the game.  The negative opinions are from those who do not like the more methodical approach to the fighting.  You get punished for being careless in this game.

Great game compared to the past 3 nrs games. Reminds me of MK9.

Kombatants have way too many combos, how the hell am I suppose to remember that shit. Kitana has 20 combos on her list, that's insane.

Bring back combo breakers!

On 5/2/2019 at 3:54 AM, mastermalone said:

I agree with the member who said the music is forgettable.  I don't even know there is music in the game most of the time.  With each new MK game, the music seems to get worse.

As for the game play, this is the best playing MK to date. I know that many of you care about combo length more than combo effectiveness, but not me.  Give me a moderately easy to do 6-10 hit combo that does 25-30% any day over a difficult 20 hit combo that does the same damage.  

The pace is spot on for me as well.  All that frantic running with un-reactable 50/50's was a bit much in MKX.  I can actually win lots of matches again.  

The visuals are the best for any fighting game.  No other game currently comes close.  

I will say that the towers of time are complete bullshit thanks to unfair A.I. and the constant barrage of consumables they frequently attack you with is unrelenting.

Overall I'm having lots of fun with the game.  The negative opinions are from those who do not like the more methodical approach to the fighting.  You get punished for being careless in this game.

This is on point! I bought MK11 for Switch and I'd say that it has breathe a new life into my console, even as annoying as Switch controller is. MKX completely lost me because of the steep learning curve required. I simply don't have hours in the day to be learning some new shit in MK. Hence why I'm definitely down with combos that are easier to dial up and hitting 20% damage with more focus on fundamentals of a fighting game. I loved MK9 for that reason even though the world cried that it was "broken".

The negative for me is that I'd rather see old MK characters than the new ones, especially given the pool of characters that were developed for MKA. No need to keep reinventing the wheels.  It would have been great to not have to relearn all new combo mechanics again from older characters. 

Overall, I do not regret spending my hard earned wages on the game.

6 hours ago, Dizz 88 said:

Great game compared to the past 3 nrs games. Reminds me of MK9.

Kombatants have way too many combos, how the hell am I suppose to remember that shit. Kitana has 20 combos on her list, that's insane.

Bring back combo breakers!

LOL. 20 fkin combos! That's my issue with NRS. I bet the next MK will be completely reworked with new set of combos all over again. It is tiring.

Gameplay: Good.

Graphics: Excellent

Stages: Better than MKX

Roster: Potato

Story: Good

Aesthetics: 50/50, shaders suck, Scorpion should only wear yellow.

Fatal Blows: Potato

Krushing Blows: Potato

Ranked Mode: Fried Potato

Krypt: Good

I like the game better than the other games released after MKA for gameplay. I hate the roster less than MK vs DC, but more than any other game. I hate shaders, but I like the gear. Breakaway timing strictness sucks, but breakaways look better than breakers. Not enough ninjas, no 3D character except Frost. Jax's arms are still fleshy when performing a fatality on him when they should be robotic inside, same as Frost, who's internals are all biological - this annoys the fk out of me. Gore graphics are a lot better. They mapped model's faces for characters in the game, I loved that.

All in all, it's okay, but not enough to make me want to play it all the time like I use to. 

I muted the music, let's just say that for starters like I have for MKX & Injustice 2,

I like the game I find the game to be totally simplistic in terms of combos when in past MKs I was able to be creative with my combos & my approach especially with Jade but she's very straight forward and easy when in MK9 she was considered one of the hardest characters to learn in the game & every Jade player approached her differently but in this game, all good Jade players are going to play the exact same way which really annoys me. 

I don't like certain mechanics, I hate flawless block, hopping is silly, breakaways are dumb, I miss proper wake-ups & most of all I HATE WHERE THEY MOVED THE FUCKING EX BUTTON! Jesus Christ it's annoying. There's no NJPs which is just weird. I don't think a certain characters belonged in the game, Frost even though she's the lone 3D era character but she's the smallest fish in the biggest pond it seems, Sektor could have easily replaced her it seems. Story Mode is really dumb like where's Kung Jin if he's not at the Wu Shi Academy or Special Forces Base? Where's Takeda if he's not at the Shirai Ryu Temple and not at the Special Forces Base? It makes no sense like so many other things in the story.

Overall, I like the game but it just feels incomplete. It's not the best Mortal Kombat game by any means since I don't see it being better than MK9 at all in terms of fun or high level play.

1 hour ago, C88 Revy said:

Overall, I like the game but it just feels incomplete. It's not the best Mortal Kombat game by any means since I don't see it being better than MK9 at all in terms of fun or high level play.

Why can't we still play MK9?  I guess people moved on to the latest and greatest. If they remastered that game for Switch, I would be the first in line to buy. 

2 hours ago, DarkTrax said:

Why can't we still play MK9?  I guess people moved on to the latest and greatest. If they remastered that game for Switch, I would be the first in line to buy. 

I think a few of today's top players could not compete, I've seen a lot of them attempt to play MK9 against legends. I think you need to have a bigger skill set in MK9 & a more complete understanding of fundamentals to play MK9 at the highest level that I don't think today's players do not have or grasp of (no disrespect). Like I've seen many players who've never even played MK9 talk about it & constantly shit on it especially since the release of MKX & especially MK11. People have been shitting on MK9 just because of how females' bodies & costumes looked back then, it really really pisses me off if you try to defend MK9 female characters or speak out about how you don't like how MKX & MK11 female characters look you're going to get flamed HARD! With the same comments that everyone gets. I've constantly said that I liked MK9 Jade more just because of consistency from UMK3 to her alternate in MKD & MKA to MK9 which is a consistent update of one another.

19 hours ago, DarkTrax said:

We could, but I don't have any of my old systems hooked up. Limited space in the living room I suppose, but it doesn't work on any of my current-gen systems. You could stream it to PS4 using PSNow, but F that noise.

So I found out the PC version has some huge differences from the PS4 and it really killed my desire to play it competitively.